Several All Saints churches have stood on
the site, pictured, on the corner of High
Street and Best Lane. In 1800 Hasted observed
'It is a building ... built of rubble stone,
covered with plaister (sic); seemingly of
about Edward III's reign.
It consists of two isles and two chancels,
having a turret at the west end of the south
side ...in which is a clock and only one
In 1986 an archaeological
dig found evidence of the Medieval and Victorian
buildings and the
street was repaved in coloured bricks to show the footprints of
those buildings. However, in 2012 the
were replaced by plain stones and
exact position of the church is no longer
apparent to passers by.
The church is situated not far from the
river and was said to be damp.4
In 1769 All Saints
steeple was demolished as it was in the path of the bridge and road
A new Regency Church of
yellow brick with white stucco was constructed in 1828.
set back from the building line of its
predecessors so as not to jut onto either
High Street or Best Lane.
In 1878 the style was updated to a Gothic building with
a square tower.
All Saints parish
underwent several mergers with adjoining parishes. In 1684 the parish
joined St Mildred
with St Mary de Castro and in 1902 it
joined with the parish of St Alphege. All Saints
church then became redundant as a place of
worship and became a community hall until
1937 when it was demolished.2